Time management is an important life skill for kids that can be a crucial aid in their success as well. It is important for kids to learn how to manage time effectively so that they plan their tasks without feeling hassled.
Parents and educators play a big role in making them understand time management and its importance, not just now, but going forward. Parents can guide their kids with the right time management tips. Once they get into the habit of utilizing time productively, they will be able to apply it in any situation.
On the other hand, educators can help impart time management skills to students. They should pursue a distinctive method in addition to those shared by their parents. It should focus on developing the passion and determination to reach their goal.
In this article, we will focus on some simple ways in which parents can help their kids (especially smaller children) with time management.
1. Start with making them learn about time: You can use different time-related games or stories to make them understand why time is precious. To understand how to manage time, they must learn about the importance of time itself. Talk about the good and bad consequences.
2. Make a schedule for them: Help them create a schedule for themselves, and ask them what they need to do to stick to it. Use a physical calendar to help them mark days with the things they wish to do. Don’t be too stringent and let them decide what tasks they want to keep. You can use colourful calendars or schedulers.
3. Use a timer for their work: Whenever they are doing something, try to use a timer so that they know how long that task should take versus how much time they are taking. Don’t just restrict this for studies rather you can use this for eating, playing, and other things as well.
4. Help them understand how to divide tasks: One of the most important aspects of time management is breaking a bigger task into smaller chunks and prioritizing. Help them make a checklist for everything they do like some craft or assignments, etc.
5. Set a schedule for them from your end: Most importantly, set a bedtime and gadget time for them. Celebrate small wins with words of appreciation. Try to exhibit good time management practices in your schedule as well so that they can learn from what they see.
One of the most important aspects of teaching small kids is patience. As parents, you have to ensure that you don’t rush them into things. Take time in dealing with queries and challenges so that they do not learn half-heartedly, rather by understanding he real implications.